Thursday, February 14, 2008

Exclusive use of Public Transportation...

I was talking with my best friend last night who noted, "Five years ago, heck two years ago, I never would have guessed you would be relying on public transportation exclusively...". I concurred and then shared last night's story...

I was pleasantly reading my magazine, on a tightly packed train (quite thankful for my seat), when I looked up and sniffed the air around me. It had that distinctive, diaper pail aroma, but more pungent, adult. I glanced at the two women sitting next to me. "Did I miss something?" I asked. "Just the man who shit himself as he walked on the train right behind me," answered the blonde with her scarf pulled over her nose and mouth. I quickly scanned the people before me, nearly everyone had their scarf, or gloved hand covering their nose. Some looked on the verge of losing the remants of their lunch, all looked disgusted. "Oh, that's nice" I quiped. I confirmed the owner of said stench, who was standing against the back wall, half a train's length from me. I pitied the two women sitting right next to him, heads roughly hip level, thus dangerously close to the source of the stench. At every stop, people were launching themselves out of their seats at that end of the train toward any available seat or standing room at the other end. The man just stood, unphased. As I reached my stop (thankfully), I had to walk toward him to exit the train. The incriminating evidence was on his shoe (apparently working it's way down his pant leg), dripping onto the car floor. He yelled at me as I exited.

Just another day on the El...

No comments: